Welcome to the Sound and Light Show

Sort of a diary for myself ... but you can read it too.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The New Brace


I had my first post surgery doctor's visit today. Everything is going well; my insides are fine and my outsides are fine. My spinal fusion is healing nicely and my incisions are looking healthy. I dig my throat scar. Today was the first day I got to see it since it was covered with surgically tape before. It's small and the doctors did a great job of keeping it compact and slim ... but it is still there. I'll have to come up with a great story to go along with it ... you know, like in the movie 'Jaws' when they all start comparing scars and stories. Anterior cervical spinal fusion sounds too wussy and technical ... back alley knife fight in the outskirts of Shanghai sounds much more interesting ... or something like that.

I get to start wearing this 'soft collar' instead of the hard plastic brace I was previously sporting. Damn, this new 'collar' is bulkier and more in my face than the hard brace ... it's like a wrapped a small pillow around my neck. What the heck? I'm a little disappointed about this. I thought I was going to get something smaller, more comfortable and easier to conceal.

Anyway ... I have to wear the collar for at least 3 more weeks (ugh) 24 hours a day (minus the showers) but I am allowed to drive now. Huh? ... I don't see how that is recommended since this collar is more obtrusive than the last one.

oh well ... I see the doctor again in 2 months and then I'll start physical therapy.

I'm still supposed to take it easy, no lifting more than 20 lbs, so my summer is going to be pretty laid back.

Below is a pic I took of my xray today. Nice shot of my hardware, huh?

2 comments:

DJ Hypnotyza said...

hey. never got a chance to send my well-wishes, but i'm glad things are going well for you.

couple quick things:

1) forget the "jaws" type scar stories. i think you should go for more "chasing amy" type scar stories.

go back and watch if you don't know what i'm talking about.

2) that xray is HARD CORE.

Evil Genius said...

You could supplement your income by pimping yourself out as a professional witness to a Lionel Hutz type ambulance chasing lawyer.