Welcome to the Sound and Light Show

Sort of a diary for myself ... but you can read it too.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Netflix Grrrr.

I wrote a letter to Netflix last week complaining that they just seem to not have enough 'new release' movies in circulation. I told them that it was ridiculous that the first 18 movies in my queue were not available for rental because of 'long waits' but were indeed released ... I wrote that I have been a customer of theirs for close to 7 years and complained (maybe threatened) that I could easily go to a local Blockbuster to get these movies if I really wanted to.

For example, 'Transformers', which came out on DVD in October still has a 'very long wait' on my queue. Now I'm not 'dieing' to see this film ... it's just the principle that's frustrating ... that it's been over 2 1/2 months since it's release and they do not have a copy they can send to me ... also, 'Pirates of the Carribean 3' is on my list and I see ads for it's DVD release on TV every freakin' day but I already assume that I'll have to wait until next year to get it from Netflix.

I mentioned that even though I have some 375 movies in my queu, I was getting sick of watching 'older' movies while waiting an average of 2 months for the new releases to become available. Don't get me wrong, I like me my classics, foreign films, cult favorites and indie flicks, all which are usually in high supply from Netflix ... it's just that sometimes I want to veg out to the latest action flick or stupid comedy i.e. 'Die Hard 4', 'Knocked Up', 'Superbad', etc.

Anyway, since writing to Netflix last Tuesday, newer released movies have been freeing up on my queue. Including 'Transformers', 'Live Free and Die Hard', etc.

Maybe Netflix's customer service actually responded to my complaint. We'll see what happens.

3 comments:

Evil Genius said...

Give 'em hell. I like your new tagline, too.

rachel said...

It's a thing; I think Netflix got sued a couple of years ago because they do this thing where they purposefully make their proven and therefore best customers wait longer for movies so as to maximize their profit. Really, I swear.

J (Son et Lumiere) ... said...

Another friend suggested that Netflix might do this because Netflix thinks customers might be 'pirating' the movies if turnaround is so fast.

I just like watching movies. I can get through one or maybe even two in an evening BEFORE i go out ... so yeah, I return movies to Netflix within 24 hours, but I'm not copying them.

My queue has since returned to a long 'not available' list. The first 20 movies on my list are all 'long waits' again. oh well.