Welcome to the Sound and Light Show

Sort of a diary for myself ... but you can read it too.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

HD DVD Revisited

So I picked up the Toshiba HD-A20 1080p DVD player yesterday after work. After initial set up and all, I immediately started to look at some old DVDs of mine to see how this player would upconvert the original films to HD.

I was pleasantly surprised. I watched bits of Batman Begins, the Fifth Element, Legend and The Devils Rejects. All movies that were shot completely different. I immediately noticed more detail. Clearer lines and bolder colors ... the most noticeable difference was how black the black was ... no more pixelated grey areas. Actually there was no 'noise' whatsoever found in the shadows.

I really didn't get a chance to play around with all of the features of the player and I have yet to watch a true HD DVD on it (which boast new menu changes w/ PIP features and all). I switched over my Netflix account to HD DVD and was surprised at how many films I can actually rent in that format. I should start receiving HD DVDs later this week.

I have 30 days to return the player so I'll give it a run and see how it works.

No comments: